Text and Picture Messaging have always been essential features for mobile users for work or to keep in contact with friends and relatives. However, several recent trends have shown how Messaging has become increasingly important in our society.
Each year IoT devices continue to find more and more applications in niche opportunities to improve the lifestyles and productivity for home owners and office workers everywhere. The Primal Technologies NFV IP-SM-GW and SMSC combination is often required especially if VoLTE mid-band and high-band frequency spectrum is not suitable to penetrate certain buildings so 3G Low-band Spectrum using traditional SMS is required. Trending companies such as Google, Apple, and Facebook among many other cloud-based services also depend upon the use of text messaging to authenticate and activate new users. Wireless operators require the flexibility of an SMSC/IP-SM-GW and 5G SMSF that can also meet far ranging and unique requirements. In addition to SMS-MO, MT and Inter-carrier processing, Primal Technologies has deliberately included many additional features that wireless operators will find beneficial for their business:
- ▪ • Simultaneous multi-network support (CDMA, GSM/UMTS, IMS, 5G) from an efficient NFV architecture
- ▪ Broadcast Management – Keep in touch with all or a subset of subscribers by SMS (VM and Out calling also)
- ▪ Delivery of OTA WAP messages to handsets
- ▪ Full Unicode / Emoji support
- ▪ SMS-to-Email
- ▪ Group Messaging
- ▪ Short code routing and interworking with Prepaid for Balance Query, Transfer, Topups and other e-Money transactions
- ▪ Centralized cloud-based short code processing
- ▪ SMS Forwarding
- ▪ Enhanced CALEA functionality
- ▪ Enhanced polling / reporting functionality for M2M Operators
- ▪ Native interworking with Primal Advance Pay/Prepaid/OCS and Ro interworking with 3rd Party OCS
- ▪ Branded Web-to-SMS
- ▪ Real-time analytics and reporting
- ▪ Home Routing functionality (for non-North American operators)
- ▪ MNP Interworking
- ▪ 5G SMSF
The 5G SMSF is an important requirement for 5G Network Operators since a variety of SMS Services including P2P messaging, Short codes, OTA Bootstrap messages, Two-Factor Authentication, Amber Alerts, etc. will all require the 5G SMSF for HTTP/2 IP SMS messaging.
For the 5G Standalone Network Operator with a 5G SMSF, there will likely be a period of 5-10 years or perhaps longer when 5G Coverage is not ubiquitously available so fallback to 4G/IMS or 3G perhaps together with roaming partners will be required in order that SMS services mentioned above continue to work regardless of where the subscriber is currently located.
The Primal Technologies 5G SMSF is available today supporting 5G Core AMF and UDM Interconnectivity to meet 5G Standalone Network SMS Use Cases. The 5G SMSF also supports both IP-SM-GW to support SIP messaging between IMS users, while simultaneously supporting legacy 2G/3G networks, handsets and inter-carrier connections from a virtualized architecture.
Primal Technologies SMSC/IP-SM-GW/5G SMSF continues to evolve to support leading-edge network operators and their requirements.